09 November 2018

Rosh Hashana Inspiration -- Sep. 10-16, 2018

My second week brought me spiritual experiences every day that I served in the temple––which is what you might expect, of course. 

What you might find surprising is that one of my most memorable spiritual experiences that week occurred not in the temple, but in the small Orthodox synagogue of a congregation that meets on the second floor of a commercial building, above a furniture store. 

During the 3 ½ hour Rosh Hashana service celebrating the first day of the Jewish New Year 5779, I alternately sat and stood with five other women in a curtained corner area of the L-shaped room, following in a book with the English translation on facing pages what was being recited in Hebrew, while my Jewish friend took an active part in the reading of the special and sacred High Holiday service.

I have always felt an affinity for the Jewish people, and although I can't credibly claim to be "Jewish," I was inordinately pleased to discover a 3.6% Ashkenazy Jewish component in my DNA. I have attended Jewish High Holiday services in Salt Lake City and Everett, WA, as well as in NYC, and have always felt welcomed by the congregations. During those services I have experienced many moments when what was sung or said resonated deeply with my personal sense of spiritual truth. 

One of the highlights of the Rosh Hashana service was the periodic blowing of the shofar (ram’s horn) which has several symbolic meanings to the Jewish people. 

The most meaningful moment of the day for me, however, was near the end of the traditional meal held after the fast that ended at the conclusion of the 3 ½ hour service. The Rabbi recounted the following story to those of us still at the table, which went something like this:

Long ago there lived a prince who was the only son of the King. He told his father that he wanted to experience other countries and cultures to learn their wisdom. His father sent him off with many servants and plenty of money. The prince spent all the money unwisely, more for entertainment than for education. Eventually, he realized that he greatly missed his father, and he returned home. He had been away so long that he had forgotten his native language, and when he arrived at his father’s palace, he was poorly dressed. The guards, not recognizing him, denied him entrance. As he gazed at the castle in frustration and longing from afar, he noticed someone standing by an open window, and realized that it was his father, the king. At that moment the prince knew that more than anything in the world he wanted to be reunited with his father. 

As the rabbi came to this part of the story, he choked up, and with tears in his eyes he recounted how the son cried out in a voice filled with passionate longing, “Father! Father!” 

He concluded by explaining that the blowing of the shofar on Rosh Hashanah expresses the cry of our soul, a cry that comes from the innermost part of our heart, symbolizing our longing to come closer to God.

As I listened to that story, and witnessed the emotion of the Rabbi, I felt the Spirit strongly confirm that God is indeed the Father of our spirits. It is because we are all His spirit sons and daughters with a divine destiny that even those among us who don’t yet understand this truth may at times feel the overwhelming emotional and spiritual pull and power of that concept.

I discovered that one of the missionaries here, Brother V----, is a distant cousin. We made the connection when a temple patron visiting from out of town had the name “Malan” and two of us claimed him as a relative! All three of us are some of the many thousands of descendants of Jean Daniel Malan who immigrated to Utah from the Piedmont Valley in the Italian Alps after being converted to the Church in 1851.

Sister Bench informed me that the sister missionary roommate who was scheduled to arrive Oct. 14 has medical issues that will take time to resolve, so she isn’t coming. At that time, I expected that there was another single/widowed sister out there somewhere who would turn out to be prepared to step in, just as I was so prepared. So it proved to be, and my new roommate will be arriving mid-December. 

The Relief Society “Get Acquainted” dinner that week was a great success. The Manhattan 1st Ward congregation is very transitory, so it was fun to get to know some of the young mothers who are coping beautifully with raising children while living in apartments with no washers or dryers, and traveling everywhere by bus or subway train. It’s a very different life than most of them were used to, but so far everyone I’ve met seems to be enjoying the unique opportunities that New York City offers.

I’ve been able to use my Spanish every day in the temple, and I had my first opportunity to use French during this second week. It’s a great feeling to see that these skills, which I had thought were no longer very useful, are greatly needed and appreciated where I am now.

Sunday was very special because I was able to hear my dear friend Holly V---- (who happens to be the sister of Jonathan’s wife, Audrey) give a wonderful talk in the Sacrament Meeting of the Singles Ward that meets in the chapel attached to the temple. Her parents were in town on vacation, so after church they came to see my apartment, which was freshly painted this week. We then took the subway to her apartment, where we enjoyed a delicious gourmet meal. 

I continue to be unbelievably happy to be here in NYC. Although I do miss seeing family and friends, I don’t miss my former life––I’m totally comfortable with this complete change of routine and surroundings. I knew I was adaptable, but I’ve been surprised at how quickly I’m feeling at home here. I think it must be an additional blessing from the Lord––another tender mercy that I am very thankful for.

Friday, I attended my first musical concert since my arrival. After walking about five minutes from my apartment, I was seated in one of the Juilliard School concert halls where I enjoyed two cello recitals, the first by a high school student cellist, and the second by a member of the Juilliard Pre-college faculty. 

I can hardly believe that I now have the opportunity of enjoying the best of two very different worlds––serving in the temple where I have deeply rewarding spiritual experiences every single day, and living in a vibrant city with endless opportunities to enjoy people-watching and cultural enrichment.

My heart overflows with gratitude for all my blessings, which include the love of my wonderful family and friends who may now be physically far away, but who are always close to me in spirit.




No comments: